Microsoft Word/Display Double-Sided Binding Guide

Question
Word 2010 Print Layout-1
Word 2010 Print Layout  

Word 2010 Print Layout-2
Word 2010 Print Layout  
Hi Ms. Barnhill,
I have to print a lengthy Word document (160 pgs), double-sided, using Word 2010. When I this open document in Print Preview a 'blue' comb binding is shown-- very helpful when working with long documents. (See Image 1) When the document is renamed and re-displayed in Print preview (Image 2) the 'blue' binding guide does not appear.

My questions are:
1) What is the proper name for 'blue' guide?
2) How do I display it in other documents?
3) How do I display the 'blue' binder guide in Word 2013?

Answer
From your initial description I thought perhaps you were talking about the display of the "gutter" on the Margins tab of Page Setup, which also displays much like a comb binding. I had not noticed this display in Print Preview, but the blue part I think is just to indicate what two pages will be facing pages.

As I suspected, this "comb" appears only when you have used either or both of two settings that indicate to Word that you will be duplexing the document: (1) "Mirror margins" on the Margins tab of Page Setup and/or (2) "Different odd and even" on the Layout tab of Page Setup (or "Different Odd and Even Pages" on the Header & Footer Tools | Design tab of the Ribbon). I'm not sure why renaming the file would change these settings, but that's the only thing I could find that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, this feature seems to have been eliminated from Word 2013.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill