Microsoft Word/ENVELOPES-HIDDEN CHECK BOXES

Question
QUESTION: AFTER I CREATE AN ENVELOPE THE CHECK BOXES FOR "PRINT" AND "ADD TO DOCUMENT" ARE TO LOW ON THE SCREEN TO SEE. IF I MOVE THE TASK BAR TO THE SIDE AND LEFT CLICK ON THE BLUE RIBBON AT THE TOP AND PUSH THE SCREEN UP I CAN SEE THE BOXES BUT AS SOON AS I RELEASE THE CURSOR THE BOXES ARE NO LONGER VISIBLE TO CHECK.I AM USING WORD 7.

ANSWER: Hi Rick,

What is happening is not Word's fault.

It appears that you need to change the screen resolution so you can so more on your monitor.

In other words, make the resolution a higher setting than it is now.

If you have Windows 7 as I do just Right Click on the Desktop and choose Screen Resolution.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: HI DALE:

THANKS FOR RESPONDING  SO PROMPTLY. UNFORTUNATELY WHAT YOU SUGGESTED DIDN'T WORK. I CHECKED THE RESOLUTION AND IT AS AS HIGH AS IT WOULD GO. I STILL COULD NOT SEE THE CHECK BOXES UNLESS I PUT THE TASK BAR TO THE SIDE AND RAISED THE SCREEN BY LEFT CLICKING AND HOLDING THE CURSOR ON THE BLUE RIBBON AT THE TOP. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

ALSO I HAVE  ANOTHER PROBLEM YOU CAN PERHAPS ADDRESS. I NEVER COULD GET A RESPONSE FROM THE MICROSOFT COMMUNITY. THE PROB;RM IS THAT EVERY TIME I TRY TO OPEN A DOCUMRNT CREATED IN OFFICE WORD 7 IT WANTS TO GO THROUGH THE SET UP PROCESS EACH TIME I KEEP CANCELING THE SET UP AND EVENTUALLY GET THE DOCUMENT. AS A MATTER OF FACT IT DOES THE SAME THING WHEN I JUST TRY TO OPEN OFFICE WORD 7. I ALSO HAVE THE WORKS. PERHAPS THAT IS INTERFERRING. ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP AN AN 83 YWAR OLD ALMOST COMPUTER ILLITERATE!

RICK

r

MS Word Envelope Window
MS Word Envelope Windo  
ANSWER: Hello Again Rick,

Hats off to you for even trying to work with computers. They will drive you/us nuts.

I apologize I should have told you more when I answered your first question.

Looks like the Envelopes and Labels Window is displaying to low on the screen.

I created a picture to help explain, see attached

You can move that window around by placing the Mouse Pointer on the Title Bar (you called this the Blue Ribbon) then hold down the Left Mouse Button and move the window up, down, left or right then let up on the mouse buttons.

If this doesnít work try this: Open the Envelopes and Labels Window; Press the Alt Key + Space Bar + M then use the Arrow Keys on the Keyboard to move the window around.

Now the other problem is a bit harder to solve.

Thanks to a contributor named K L U D G E to Yahoo Answers a few years back there is this to try:

Solution number 3
if C is your windows installation drive,
C:\ Program Files\ Microsoft Office\ Office12

find a file with this name ID_00030.DPC and copy and rename to ID_00011.DPC
Now run the program

Solution 1 and 2 was not something I would advise someone like you or me for that matter to try.

One more solution:

1. Open up command prompt.

If you are using Office 2003 type this command in the prompt:

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

If you are using Office 2007 type in:

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

2. Open Program

Once you open up the program you might have to go through the configuration setup one more time. After that you should be all set.

Conclusion
This is a quick easy fix that can get that user who is fed up back to work and out of your hair.

If this is too much get someone to help you rename the file or use the Command Prompt.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: HI DALE:

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. SOMETHINGS WORKED AND SOME DIDN'T. I COULD NOT GET THE TITLE BAR TO STAY UP AFTER RELEASING THE CURSOR SO THAT I COULD USE THE ARROW KEYS. HOWEVER I WAS ABLE TO ADD AN ENVELOPE TO THE DOCUMENT BY USING THE ALT+A KEYS AND FOUND OTHER WAYS TO PRINT.

HOWEVER WITH REGARD TO STOPPING WORD 7 FROM CONTINUING TO SET UP I HAD TROUBLE. I WENT TO THE COMMAND PROMPT (HOW MY SECRETARIES EVER PUT UP WITH THE OLD DOS SYSTEM I NEVER KNOW) AND TYPED WHAT YOU PROVIDED INCLUDING THE CAPS. BUT THEN I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO OPEN IT.  I CLICKED ENTER BUT IT JUST MOVED DOWN TO ANOTHER PROMPT LINE. HOW DO YOU OPEN WHAT IS TYPED IN THE COMMAND PROMPT? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

RICK

Answer

If you just want to print an envelope try this:

Open the Envelopes and Labels Window; Press the Alt Key + P then the Print Screen Window should appear on your screen.

As to the command prompt; you need to get someone to help you or find another expert that could guide you better than I.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley