Microsoft Word/page numbering for TOC

Question
QUESTION: Hi Suzanne,

I am trying to number Appendix pages in the bottom footer, I can manually enter A1-page number and that works great but is applying it to the whole document.  I assumed all I would need is a section break (continuous or next page) but it is not solving the problem, the A1- still added to the footer of all previous chapters.

What am I missing?  Do I need a footer section break somehow?

Thanks,
Lisa

ANSWER: If I understand you correctly, you want all the appendixes to have an A prefix to the numbering, which is restarted in the appendix section. To restart numbering, it is sufficient to insert a section break. In order to change the footer content (which you're doing by adding A), you need to unlink the footer in the appendix section from the previous one. How you do this depends on what version of Word you have.

Note that any text added manually to page numbers will not show up in the TOC. If you want numbers with an A prefix that will display that way in the TOC, you have to use a different method.

QUESTION: Hi Suzanne,
Another page numbering question for you.  Sometimes the chapter number preceeding the page number shows up in the TOC and sometimes it doesn't.  
Where is that determined?
Thanks,
Lisa

Answer
The chapter number shows up in the TOC only if it is added to the page number using the "Include chapter number" feature rather than typed manually. To be added as a "chapter number," the number must be the paragraph number of an autonumbered paragraph in one of Word's built-in heading styles. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill