Microsoft Word/stopping word 7 from trying to set up

Question
QUESTION: EVERY TIME I TRY TO OPEN WORD 7 ON MY WINDOWS 7 OR TO OPEN A DOCUMRNT CREATED IN THAT PROGRAM, IT CONTINUES TO WANT TO SET-UP EACH TIME AND CONFIGURE. AFTER SAYING NO IT WILL FINALLY OPEN UP. I GOT SOME ADVICE FROM YOUR DALE TO TYPE IN A COMMAND PROMPT IN THE OLD DOS MANNER BUT I COULD NOT OPEN IT. WHEN I HIT ENTER IT JUST MOVED TO ANOTHER COMMAND PROMPT. DALE DEFERRED TO SOMEONE ELSE ON THIS ISSUE. CAN YOU HELP ME WITH OPENING A COMMAND PROMPT OR HAVE A BETTER IDEA TO STOP THE SET-UP PROCRSS?

THANKS, RICK

ANSWER: I assume by "Word 7" you don't mean Word for Windows 95 (version 7) but Word 2007 (version 12). Do you have more than one version of Word installed? If so, there is a Registry edit that will prevent each version from reconfiguring every time you use it. Oh, and please don't SHOUT.

QUESTION: SUZANNE:

FIRST OF ALL I AM 83 YEARS OLD AND BORDERLINE COMPUTER ILLITERATE. THAT IS WHY I USE ALL CAPS. IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND SEE. SO I GUESS YOU WILL EITHER HAVE TO STAND BACK A BIT OR HIT THE "CTRL" & "-" KEYS. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, IT DOES APPEAR I HAVE SEVERAL WORD PROCESSING PROGRAMS. THE WORD 2007, VERSION 12., DOES GO THROUGH THE SET-UP PROCESS EACH TIME I OPEN THE PROGRAM OR OPEN A DOCUMENT DONE IN THAT PROGRAM. HOWEVER I NOW NOTICE THAT I ALSO HAVE  WORD 2000 THAT DOES NOT GO THROUGH THE PROCESS AND I ALSO HAVE MICROSOFT WORKS. THE DROP-DOWN FOR WORKS ALLOWS YOU TO SELECT WORD PROCESSOR WHICH DOES NOT GO THROUGH THE SET-UP PROCESS AND WORKS TASK LAUNCHER THAT DOES GO THROUGH THE PROCESS. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I DO? THANKS

RICK

Answer
When you have more than one version of Word, whichever one you have used most recently will grab the file associations, so when you start a different version, it has to reregister itself. If you are willing to edit the Registry, you can define keys that will prevent this from happening. See the "Hacking the Registry" section of http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm. The process may be outside your comfort zone, but the steps are clearly illustrated and really quite easy to perform.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill