Microsoft Word/Word 2007 template issues

Question
I have a template in 97-03 version. We open it in 2007 and go to save it as a new 97-03 document. when we then open the document we find that the styles "Based on" font seems to have changed and more styles have been created. When we "Open & Repair" this document it mentions a "Styles 1" issue, which it fails to fix.

Any ideas if this is a word 07 compatibility bug and if there is a patch. It saves fine in .dotx, and is find in word 2010 to save at 97-03 format.

Answer
I haven't come across this issue myself, and despite a long search have not found anything that directly relates to this problem.  Based on your own findings, I would agree with you that it appears to be a bug in office 2007 that has been fixed in office 2010, but I wasn't able to find any obvious patches for office 2007 that would resolve it - sorry not to have been able to give a better answer.  It may be worth posing the question in the Word section of http://windowssecrets.com/forums/ as there are many other experts who view and reply to that forum.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage