Microsoft Word/Copying a picture with Word 2008 for Mac

Hi again,

A day or two ago, my friend, I asked you how to drag a copy of an image from a version of a Word document to another version of it.  Although the original image disappeared when I cut the text wrapped around its right-hand side, the picture stayed un-copyable because Word told the computer to put it behind the text.  So I thought you'd like to know what caused the problem.

Thank you again for your expert help.

All the best,

I'm not sure how you had text wrapped around the picture if it was Behind Text; that suggests that you might have had some other object (text box, shape) in front of the picture that the text was wrapped around. Or perhaps the text margin had been adjusted. When a picture is Behind Text, it often can't be selected with the text selection tool. In such cases, you have to enable the Select Objects tool (in Word 2007 and above, this is on the right end of the Home tab of the Ribbon; in Word 2003 and earlier, it's on the Drawing toolbar). This allows you to select objects without touching text.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors