Microsoft Word/Delinking headers in word document

I am having difficulty un-linking headers from previous sections in a Word document. I added a "Page Break" after each section and added different headers to each section. No problems thus far. Then I changed the document's line spacing and added further section breaks to move headings onto odd number pages, causing the document to increase from about 230 pages to 250 pages. Still no problem. All headers remained intact. But when I saved the document, I found that three of the thirty two sections suddenly had the same heading. I tried retyping these headers, but the moment I clicked on the header, it took me directly to the first of the three linked headers. Another anomaly is that although the headers have tabs saying "same as previous", the “linked to previous” in the menu is not highlighted and cannot be changed. I am very experienced at linking and delinking sections, but am unable to delink these sections in the normal way.

I think the clue maybe in your reference to odd number pages, in that this could give a different first page header, or different odd and even - at which point, you could have an "invisible" header.  I'm not sure how many headers you have, but it MAY be worth removing all page breaks and section breaks (and thus all header information) and then rebuilding the sections and headers, each time making sure they are not linked to previous.  I'm not quite sure why you had a section break AND a page break (and next page section break should do the same thing) but this is unlikely to be the cause.  I've not been able to find a logical explanation for the button lacking functionality to unlink the headers - if it helps I'm more than happy to look at the document if any of the above fails to help - my direct email is
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards