Microsoft Word/Headings off center

Thanks.  I've various other experts, but their advice didn't help.  I'm sorry I unknowingly called you "Dave."  I thought I typed "Dale" instead.

ANSWER: Hello Again Bill,

That's OK I also get called Dan a lot too.

I don't know if you can create paragraphs in the header and then center one and not the other.

If not, then maybe you might have to put the page numbers in the footer and the words in the header or visa versa.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

In Word 2008 for Mac, the page number moves to the right on even-numbered pages when I tell the computer to center the words in the header area there. What can I do to anchor the page numbers before the words move? Centering happens normally on odd-numbered pages, and I chose "Outside" when I inserted the document's page numbers. There's an easy way to solve the problem, I hope, because the document is about 325 pages long. Thanks. Bill

Thanks.  I was just wondering what would be the most efficient way to move page numbers from the headers to the footers.  I hope I can keep them in the headers, though, partly because they're Arabic in some sections and Roman in others.  So if you know an automatic way to move only the numbers, I'd love to hear about it.   For me, computing is much easier on a Unix command-line.  

Bill :-)

Hi Bill,

So sorry but I am way out of my element here.

Wish I knew of a way to do what you ask.

In my version of Word I just go to Insert, Page Number and change it from Top to Bottom then all page numbers move to the bottom.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley

I must report that I donít use Word 2003, 2007 or 2010 and have yet to be convinced that I need them. Microsoft Word 97 Microsoft Word 2000 Microsoft Word 2002 Please note: I will not answer questions about Fields, Statements, Formulas, Macros, creating and writing specific macros, VBA (Visual Basic Editor) and the Microsoft Script Editor I am willing to answer questions about: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, Graphics, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Formatting, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Web Pages, Email, Hyperlinks, Bookmarks, HTML, Table of Contents, Footnotes, Endnotes, AutoText, AutoCorrect, Headers and Footers, Converting Documents, Customizing Toolbars and Toolbar Icons, Margins, Page Settings, Layout, Dictionaries, Languages, Find and Replace, Mail Merge, Printing, Saving Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, Office Clipboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, Font Lists, Customizing, Options, Templates, Bullets, Numbering, Borders, Using Themes, Fields, Symbols, Document Map, Find and Replace, etc.

Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word in particular is one of the most popular programs that our firm, Computer Help provides instruction, one on one tutoring and consultation. I personally use MS Word for almost every task: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Email Editor and much more. The exception, Graphics and Web Pages. For graphics I use Ulead's PhotoImpact and Microsoft's FrontPage for web site design.

Our column, COMPUTER Help's Q&A The Internet - E-mail,
appears in the Sun City Center PC Computer Club's Newsletter.

Formerly the #1 rated Microsoft Word Expert at since volunteering there in December 2000. In that time, responding to thousands of questions most of which were specific to Microsoft Word.