Microsoft Word/scan pdf word

QUESTION: i have 40 pages of a pdf document   can i convert 23 of them to editable word using word 2013.  how can i do this all within the computer system, and not having to take out any pages and feed them again to the scanner

thank you

i wanted your answer so if my question is not clear, please ask for clarification and i will respond

ANSWER: It depends on how the PDF was created. If it was scanned as an editable PDF, then it can be opened and edited in Word 2013. If it was scanned to PDF as a picture (graphic file), then it is not editable in Word 2013.

An existing PDF can be converted to an editable document in various ways (all of them iffy). If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can convert a graphic PDF to "searchable" text. Or you can paste text into OneNote and use Copy Text from Picture. Results are usually very marginal, often with a paragraph break at the end of every line and a multitude of scanning errors, though accuracy depends a lot on the clarity of the original image.

QUESTION: please if you can clarify

what is the difference between a pdf and a searchacble pdf

what is a editable pdf from a scanner   does a scanner make a non-editable pdf

we hardly ever see whether the scanner is set to graphics or picture

if I can use word to edit, how do I tell the computer to edit only say pages   23   to 75, and not the rest  will the computer do this without my having to print those pages out, scan them again and then do word edit as one separate document comprising pages 23 to 75

thank you

Different types of scanners produce different kinds of PDFs. Without knowing what kind of scanner you have, it is impossible to say what settings it might have, but most scanners can produce editable PDFs if that option is selected.

If you open a PDF in Word, you can edit any portion of it that you like and then resave it as a PDF. If you have further questions, I suggest that you make the experiment.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors