Microsoft Word/Un-linking headers in word document

Question
I am having difficulty un-linking headers from previous sections in a Word document. I added a "Page Break" after each section and added different headers to each section. No problems thus far. Then I changed the document's line spacing, causing the document to increase from about 230 pages to 250 pages. Still no problem. All headers remained intact. But when I saved the document, I found that three of the thirty two sections suddenly had the same heading. I tried retyping these headers, but the moment I clicked on the header, it took me directly to the first of the three linked headers. Another anomaly is that the headers do not have a tab saying "same as previous", so they cannot be delinked in the normal way.

Answer
Inserting a page break does not create a section. If this was a Next Page section break, then you do actually have sections (and it sounds as if you do). But do you really need to unlink and change these headers? What content is changing? You might be able to use a StyleRef field to pick up content on the page (a heading, for example) without needing to unlink the headers.

The header will always have a Link to Previous button, though it may not be active. You can have up to three different headers in a given section (First Page, Even Page, Odd Page), and each of those is linked only to the same type of header in the previous and following sections.

I'm trying to match your description to anything in my experience and failing. If you'd like to send the document to ssbarnhill@gmail.com, I'll investigate.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill