Microsoft Word/using a recent Office suite

Hello Suzanne, how've you been?

I have both the 2007 and 2010 Microsoft Office suites installed on one computer. I want to install the 2013 suite on the computer. I plan to first uninstall the 2007 suite before installing the 2013 suite.
As a result, both the 2010 and 2013 suites will reside on the computer.

Is there a problem with this combination?
Your reply is appreciated.

I have Word 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 installed on the same system, and they can be made to coexist peacefully for the most part. I recommend that you read the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at for information on how to prevent each version from reconfiguring every time you open it. Even more important is the information in the rest of that article about setting up separate folders for templates, startup, etc.

The only problem I have noticed with 2013 is with the Quick Access Toolbar. Word 2007 saves QAT customizations in files with the .qat file extension. Word 2010 instead uses .officeui files. So you can customize the QAT separately in Word 2007 and 2010. But Word 2010 and Word 2013 apparently share an .officeui file, which would be fine if Word 2013 would just leave it alone, but I keep finding the QAT in Word 2013 in jumbled order. I can move the buttons back to where I want them and quit Word, but the next time I open it, they're jumbled again. For reasons that I don't understand, this does NOT affect the QAT in Word 2010, which stays in the right order. I don't actually use Word 2013 for anything but reference, anyway, so it's not a huge issue--just one of those little annoyances, and frustrating because I can't figure out why it's behaving that way.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors