Microsoft Word/putting color in the area around the document

hello Suzanne!

Welcome back from your vacation!

I recently installed Office Suite 2013. I use Windows 7.When I open Word 2013, I find that surrounding the document's page is additional space. The space, which I'll call the "desk blotter" is white.
I want to change that color to something darker. I note that in Word 2010 and Word 2003, the blotter color is dark gray.
I know how to color the Word page, but I want to color the surrounding area as well.
Can you help?

Not really a vacation--I had five house guests (two of them under age 6) and didn't need further distractions!

Office 2013 doesn't offer much in the way of personalization. At File | Options | General, the Office Theme selection offers White, Light Gray, and Dark Gray. I have "Dark Gray" selected, and in my opinion it's pretty light (the same color I'm seeing as the background to this window, but that may be different for you). It is definitely not as dark as the gray in Word 2003 but nearly as dark as the gray using the Silver color scheme in Word 2010 (the Black is definitely darker than I would want).

Changing the Windows theme may make some difference as well (see
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors