Microsoft Word/comments and contents

Question
Could you please assist me in simple language for the two following:

1. I am making a word document about 40 pages, I can divide the text into paragraphs and sub paragraphs based on the subject matter covered   like 1   1.1    1.5  can the program make a table of contents for me giving page number, the paragraph heading and paragraph/subparagraph number

2.5       anti-friction bearings         p.42

2. after completion i want to highlight certain important lines or text, and follow that with a comment. so far so good  can the program then make me, at the end of the document, a comment list table like
page no          paragraph no          comment number

thank you very much

Answer
Provided you apply multilevel list numbering to your paragraphs as described at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html, you will then be able to generate a table of contents that will give the paragraph number, paragraph content, and page number; see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/tableofcontents.html for instructions.

Your second request is more difficult. You would have to bookmark each comment and then create your list of comments using cross-references; you'd need a cross-reference to the page number (PAGEREF), another cross-reference to the paragraph number (of an auto-numbered paragraph), and a third cross-reference to the "bookmark text," that is, the content of the bookmarked paragraph.

For future questions, please post at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word. You will get answers from many knowledgeable people, and they can include screen shots to assist you.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill