Microsoft Word/Disappearing section breaks

Question
Hi Suzanne,
I am editing a large technical document.  I've used section breaks for years to separate TOC page numbering from Chapter numbering.  Mysteriously, I am having an issue where I lose the next page section break following the TOC when I update fields.  Every time.  Which then screws up the page numbering.  I can't figure out what changed.  Something in a style?  What would make this happen?
Any thoughts or suggestions extremely appreciated!
Thanks,
Lisa Young

Answer
Not at all surprising. The TOC field is a "greedy" field that tends to grab whatever follows it. That's why following a TOC is one of the few places where I recommend adding an empty paragraph. If you display the TOC field (Alt+F9) after inserting the section break, you may well find that the section break has gotten inside the field; when you update the field, it's "garbage" that gets thrown out. (You will certainly notice that the paragraph break that appears to be outside the TOC field is actually inside it.)

So make sure there's at least one empty paragraph between the TOC and what follows and that you insert the section break AFTER that empty paragraph, and I think you'll find you're back on track.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill