Microsoft Word/Forgot password to protected Word 2013 document

After a brain injury, I forgot the password to the file containing the novel I'm writing, and desperately need to retrieve the password. I've tried Vodusoft Word Password Recovery, but after 2 weeks of it running, there still is no solution.  Is there a reliable program that will retrieve a password or some other way to figure out the password to a Word 2013 document?

Word passwords are intended not to be broken. If you are willing to give your credit card details to someone who cracks passwords for a living, there are services that can break even the best passwords, though of course, the more secure they are, the longer it takes and the more it will cost.

Another option that I have seen seriously recommended is hypnosis. If the memory of the password is still locked in your brain somewhere, it may be that professional hypnosis could recover it. Unless the password was entirely random, you can also (as I imagine you already have) try all the possible combinations of words and letters you might have used as a password.

FWIW, unless you are working on a shared computer (at school, for example), I don't see much need to password a file such as this.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors