Microsoft Word/page numbering

Question
QUESTION: Hi! I have a 40 page WORD document

i need to paginate it such that the very first page is a cover sheet and is not paginated at all. The first page that will have a number is actually the second page of the set. This second page should say 1 of 40, and the last 40 of 40

Please advise how to do this?

is it necessary to put a section break on the cover page to bring out the desired results

how soon can you respond  i will donate but would like to see your response first

thank you

ANSWER: you don't need a section break, because you can have different first page header.  See http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/start-page-numbering-on-page-2-HP001 for a suggested response to doing this - IF it doesn't make sense, do let me know - version of Word will help me to be more specific - you can get the page numbering to start at whatever number you want AND show PAGES as any number you want - may take a bit of work (but not much)

QUESTION: the word is 2010 at home and 2013 at work  the present work has been with 2010

it does not happen    your application is most positive, but a customer needs an answer that is specific and works everytime

Best Regards
aamir

Answer
The method should work, but I'll try again - I have office 2010 in front of me, so I'm basing it on that.

I've first of all used the page layout ribbon to enable me to view the page setup section.  clicking in the bottom right of this brings up the page layout dialog, where I can specify different first page on the layout tab.  This gives the first part of your requirement.  The next requirement is to have the page numbering start at one on the second page.  I've chosen to use the header for this (footer would work the same in esscence).  I have activated the header area (I double click at the top of the document, but you may have a different preferred method).  Click onto the Design ribbon and use the page number option at the left.  first use the format page number to force the numbering to start from 1.  Then chose the layout option you want.  I've gone with top of page and right.  This covers the second requirement.  The final requirement may have confused me, as you said you had a 40 page document, and that you wanted the numbering to say " of 40 pages" - but re-reading, I think you have a 41 page document with the cover page counting as page one, but NOT to feature in the numbering.  Here, you will need to do a little bit of field manipulation - I've inserted a field into which I've entered the following - first, after the equals, I insert another field - this being the total number of pages in the document (the NumPages field) after which I've typed -1.  This should then give you what you need (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/95886 for the full explanation of this method).

Sorry you couldn't get the previous method to work - it did look to explain it when I looked myself, but hopefully my own fuller explanation of your specific problem will help.  If you still have issues, do let me know and if it helps my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage