Microsoft Word/page numbering

QUESTION: Suzanne its me again

please give me accurately the num pages  type information to determine number of pages   even one comma out of place will give a wrong result
please give both for first page as page 1 and second page as page 1

thank you

ANSWER: Regardless of where you start numbering the pages, the NumPages field will return the total number of pages in the document. The SectionPages field will return the total number of pages in the section. (Caveat: If there is an Odd Page section break requiring a blank even page between sections, the blank page will be counted with the following section, not the previous one, throwing the SectionPages field off by one.)

If you want to count something other than the total number of pages, then you have to use a calculated field such as { = { NumPages } -1 }.

QUESTION: suzanne, isn't there something about using control f9 or f9 to put the parentheses, not type them, there is something about doing 9 which will give the result and f9 which will something else, something about a switch which will convert alphabet to numeral, something about  Arabic, English, American,  

some of these are from your own past articles  i am trying to get information which will in the future enable me to do any kind of main numbering of pages without bothering anybody

best regards
thank you

If you don't want to use the Field dialog, then you can insert fields manually using Ctrl+F9. You can also insert a PAGE field by pressing Alt+Shift+P.

Although there are field switches that will change the format of the page number, this is not the correct approach. Instead, use the Page Number Format dialog to select the format of the number. If you format the number using a switch, it will appear unformatted in the TOC; a number formatted using the dialog will appear in the TOC the same as it appears on the page.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors