Microsoft Word/picture placement within a paragraph

Question
Hello, Suzanne,

"Putting" pictures in Word (2007) isn't difficult.
"Placing" them correctly, however, can sometimes be a torture.

To place a picture between paragraphs—simple.
To place one within a paragraph—also simple; just use text wrapping.

To place a picture WITHIN a paragraph, however—when the picture occupies one whole page, from top margin to bottom margin—seems impossible. Just in case I haven't been clear there, let me put that another way. I want to have part of a paragraph on one page, a picture—and only a picture—occupying (all of) the next page, then to continue the remaining text, from the same paragraph, on the page after that.

No matter what form of text wrapping is used, Word insists on including one line of the paragraph on the page—whether: below the image, behind it, in front of it — or pushed downwards into the footer! It will even push that line off the bottom of the page—but not onto the next one; it at least seems so, that in the case of a full-page image, one line MUST be on the page.

I've tried everything: all the text wrapping options; putting an external border around the text box; putting a text box OVER the errant text line (and then using text wrapping on IT). Nothing works.

If there is a way to do this I can't find it. Can you help?

All the best,
Bud

Answer
You have correctly identified the problem. Word has two ways of inserting pictures: In Line With Text, in which case the picture behaves the same as a giant font character, and "wrapped" (previously called "floating"). Wrapped pictures must be anchored to a text paragraph. This means that Word does not allow you to wrap text around a full-page picture; the picture must be anchored to text on the same page.

The solution (really a workaround) is to simulate the wrapping. Don't even bother with this until editing is complete and you know that the text flow will not change. Insert the picture In Line With Text (between two paragraphs) to begin with and just ignore its placement until editing is complete and you are ready to do the final layout.

Move text as needed to fill the page that will precede the picture. At the bottom of the page, insert a manual page break (Ctrl+Enter). If you can insert the page break between paragraphs, this is ideal; otherwise, just insert it in the middle of a paragraph so that the last line of what's left is at the bottom of the page. Move the rest of the text to follow the picture. The picture will now be on a page by itself. Although it's not entirely necessary, I usually insert another page break between the picture and the following text. If the picture actually fills the entire page, you could get by with just paragraph breaks, but if you want some space around the picture, or a caption under it, use the page breaks.

If your paragraphs are not justified and don't have a first-line indent, you're done, but in a typeset book, you'll probably be dealing with both issues. You need to justify the last line of the paragraph on the preceding page and remove the first-line indent of the paragraph on the following page in order to create the appearance of a continuous paragraph.

To justify the last line, insert a line break (Shift+Enter). This will force the empty line (ending in a paragraph break) to the next page, but don't worry about that. Select just the paragraph mark (which you have displayed with Ctrl+*) and format it as 1 point. If even that doesn't do the trick, format it as Hidden (Ctrl+Shift+H).

To take care of the paragraph on the following page, just remove the indent. I prefer to do this by applying an unindented style (Body Text vs. Body Text First Indent, for example).
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill