Microsoft Word/Relative Hyperlinks

Question
Read a number of the discussions and although seem to be getting close let me describe my problem.
I have a very large document with 40 appendix's. The document was created on our network drive and when IO added hyperlinks to the appropriate appendix everything works fine. I now have to turn this document over to a client who will copy it onto their network drive and essentially all the hyperlink paths will not work as they will be trying to direct them to my network address.
I have tried a number of things (copying to a jump drive and plugging into a non networked computer to see if the links will change but other than manually changing them seems the path will always be wrong.

None of the documents are in a URL website and I have compiled all documents in one folder titled DBM write up. The Appendix folders are all in individual folders directly under the DBM write up folder.
Is it possible to use a generic "Relative Hyperlink" base? ie "DBM Write-up" . This would allow me to copy the structure to a jump drive and transfer it to my clients network but still allow the links to work provided the client does not change the folder structure.

Comes down to portable addressing of Hyper links all relative to the same document which may be transferred to multiple users with different front end network file structures.

You seem to have addressed a number of these items but of all the ones I read not sure this particular issue was addressed.

I am prepared to modify/edit each hyperlink individually if needed but think my syntax is wrong and when i try and edit it the path still shows a drive reference.

Answer
Hi John,

You didn't mention which version of MS Word you are using so my data will reflect Word 2007 which is what I use. There is also a reference to Word 2003 in this article.

Even if you are using another version, this could still help you at least point you in the right direction.

I believe you are looking for absolute hyperlinks not relative hyperlinks. In addition I think if you put everything on a jump drive without any folders when you use another system it should still be OK.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

How to create absolute hyperlinks and relative hyperlinks in Word 2007 documents and in Word 2003 documents

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to create absolute hyperlinks and relative hyperlinks in Microsoft Office Word 2007 and in Microsoft Office Word 2003.

Word automatically creates a hyperlink when you type the address of an existing Web page, such as www.microsoft.com, into a document. This behavior occurs only if you have not turned off the automatic formatting of hyperlinks functionality. You can also create customized hyperlinks to documents on a computer or on a network share. These hyperlinks can be absolute. Or, these hyperlinks can be relative to the Word document that you are working with.

By default, the Update links on save option in Web Options is turned on in Word. Therefore, when you create a hyperlink in a Word document, Word converts the hyperlink into a relative hyperlink.

Definitions and examples
•   Hyperlink
A hyperlink is colored and underlined text or a colored and underlined graphic that you click to open any one of the following items:
•   A file
•   A location in a file
•   A Web page on the Web
•   A Web page on an intranet
•   A Gopher, Telnet, or File Transfer Protocol (FTP) site
Additionally, you can click a hyperlink to view newsgroups.

•   Absolute hyperlink

An absolute hyperlink is a hyperlink that contains the full address of the destination file or of the Web site. The following address is an example of a full address in an absolute hyperlink:
http://www.microsoft.com/support
•   
Hyperlink base

A hyperlink base is the path that is shared by the file that contains the hyperlink and the destination file.
•   
Relative hyperlink
A relative hyperlink is a hyperlink that contains an address that is relative to the address of the destination file. The address of the destination file is also known as the hyperlink base.

For example, a document has the following hyperlink base:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents

A document that is named "Sales.doc" is located at the following file path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\April\Sales.doc

The relative hyperlink to this document contains only the relative address to Sales.doc. Therefore, the relative hyperlink contains the following address:

April\Sales.doc
How to use absolute hyperlinks instead of relative hyperlinks
To use absolute hyperlinks, perform one of the following actions:
•   Use absolute hyperlinks in all Word documents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Word 2007
1.   Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
2.   Click the Advanced.
3.   Under General, click Web Options.
4.   Click the Files tab.
5.   Click to clear the Update links on save check box.
6.   Click OK two times.
Method 2: Word 2003
1.   On the Tools menu, click Options.
2.   Click the General tab.
3.   Click Web Options.
4.   Click the Files tab.
6.   Click OK two times.

•   Use absolute hyperlinks in a single document. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Word 2007
1.   Open the document in which you want to use an absolute hyperlink.
2.   Click the Microsoft Office Button, point to Prepare, and then click Properties.
3.   Click Document Properties, and then click Advanced Properties.
4.   Click the Summary tab.
5.   In the Hyperlink Base box, type x, and then click OK.
Method 2: Word 2003
2.   On the File menu, click Properties.
3.   Click the Summary tab.
4.   In the Hyperlink Base box, type x, and then click OK.

How to reset hyperlinks
To reset existing hyperlinks in a document, follow these steps:
1.   Open the document.
2.   Right-click the hyperlink that you want to change, and then click Edit Hyperlink.
3.   In the Look in box, click the document that you want the hyperlink to open. Or, type the URL address of the destination in the Address box.
4.   Click OK.
How to set a hyperlink base
To set a hyperlink base for all the hyperlinks or the URLs in a document, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your version of Word.
Method 1: Word 2007
1.   Open the document in which you want to set a hyperlink base.
4.   Click the Summary tab.
5.   In the Hyperlink Base box, type the path that you want to use for all the hyperlinks that you create in this document.
6.   Click OK.
Method 2: Word 2003
1.   Open the document for which you want to set a hyperlink base.
2.   On the File menu, click Properties, and then click the Summary tab.
3.   In the Hyperlink base box, type the path that you want to use for all the hyperlinks that you create in this document.
4.   Click OK.
Note To override the hyperlink base, type the full address of the hyperlink in the Address box in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley