Microsoft Word/table 2013 ascending/descending order

Question
good morning

2.6.7.8          maple leaf          California

7.2.7.5.6.8          lettuce          milk

3.7.8.2.1          hose          water

I tried to arrange this is ascending order, with the first column as the basis.  in the past i could get it but in word 2013 i cannot  e.g. 7.2.7.5.6.8 is a paragraph number but the program takes 7.2.7.5.6.8 right on top thinking that it is a numerically larger number

could you please assist on this

thank you

Answer
When I sort this in Word 2013, whether I choose Text or Number, I get it in the desired order. I notice that Word defaults to sorting this as "Date" rather Text or Number, but that results in the order you show. To get 7.2.7.5.6.8 at the top, it would be necessary to sort in descending rather than ascending order. Are you sure you have set all the parameters correctly?

If the paragraph numbers are auto numbers or cross-references to auto numbers, they might behave differently.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill