Microsoft Word/Header and page number bugs?

Question
WordBugScreenshot
WordBugScreenshot  
I have been having a set of related problems with a document in Word 2011 Mac. I have headers set to different odd and even. The header for page 2 of my document claims to be an odd header, and so on through the document—odd pages show as having even headers and even as having odd! I attach a screenshot showing page 3 with its even header.

I am unable to set my page numbers correctly. I have a section whose first numbered page should be 4. If I use the Page # icon on the Documents Elements page to set the starting number to 3, which is the page number for the first page of the section (first page of a section does not have a page number), the number on the second page of the section appears as 5. If I lower the starting number by one, the number on the second page becomes 3. There is no way I have found of getting the page number to be 4, which is what it ought to be.

There is one more, possibly related, glitch. Sometimes, my page numbering (as shown by MSWord below the page on the window) skips one. Page 16 is followed by page 18. If I save to pdf, there is an extra blank page in the pdf that is not shown in Word. I was able to eliminate that only by inserting a "section break even page" marker instead of an ordinary "section break next page" marker, and am not sure if that is related to my other problems.

Answer
Hi David,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your headers and page numbers. I have had similar problems and outlined my solutions below to overcome situation. The workarounds are admittedly not ideal and a bit clunky but it is the only thing I have found to work reliably. Simplifying is typically the best option, particularly if this file will be used on a PC as well.

QUESTION: I have been having a set of related problems with a document in Word 2011 Mac. I have headers set to different odd and even. The header for page 2 of my document claims to be an odd header, and so on through the document—odd pages show as having even headers and even as having odd! I attach a screenshot showing page 3 with its even header.

ANSWER: Consider using regular section breaks (not odd/even section breaks) works much more reliably. Depending on the complexity of the document, I have also found that different first page can cause problems with odd/even headers and I have overcome that with a section break for each section cover page or other page that requires different first. In my experience this seems to occur most commonly when there is cross referencing/bookmarking/indexing or large TOC, LOF, LOT.

QUESTION: I am unable to set my page numbers correctly. I have a section whose first numbered page should be 4. If I use the Page # icon on the Documents Elements page to set the starting number to 3, which is the page number for the first page of the section (first page of a section does not have a page number), the number on the second page of the section appears as 5. If I lower the starting number by one, the number on the second page becomes 3. There is no way I have found of getting the page number to be 4, which is what it ought to be.

ANSWER: This will require manual blank pages or "Intentionally blank" pages but will solve the problem and allow you to make changes to headers and page numbers since they will be visible for edit. This can also occur if you have the wrong odd/even section break assigned for the intended page number or multiple sections causing confusion within the program.

QUESTION: There is one more, possibly related, glitch. Sometimes, my page numbering (as shown by MSWord below the page on the window) skips one. Page 16 is followed by page 18. If I save to pdf, there is an extra blank page in the pdf that is not shown in Word. I was able to eliminate that only by inserting a "section break even page" marker instead of an ordinary "section break next page" marker, and am not sure if that is related to my other problems.

ANSWER: This is related to other problems and a proposed solution is noted above. Please also keep in mind that other factors can cause issues such as having heading 1 assigned for page break before. Also be careful not to bring in section breaks or last paragraph marks from external documents as their formatting and styles can cause harm to yours.
Hope this was helpful.

Michelle Howell, Microsoft Office PC and Mac
Microsoft 2007 | 2010 | 2011 | 2013 Excel | Outlook | PowerPoint | Word | RFP | Request for Proposal | Adobe PDF XI Pro| www.theproofpositive.com | www.linkedin.com/in/theproofpositive
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Michelle Howell