Microsoft Word/Word 2002 won't open...

QUESTION: Hi--I am using Word 2002 on my pc.  I recently acquired a macbook and have been working on that using mac's Pages.  When I exit, I convert the document to Word and export to a flash drive.  Last night I worked on a chapter of my book and tonight put the flash drive in the pc and tried to open the (assumed) converted-to-Word chapter. No go.  The paperclip appears and the top line of the chapter heading but nothing else. Interestingly, when I go to My Documents and click the chapter I'm trying to open, a duplicate but faint Word icon appears along with the (un-opening) file and only contains 1kb of data and has a curvy line and a dollar sign in front of the attenuated document title. Now and then I get a "cannot start the converter mswrd632" message. I tried going to the Start menu and entering regedit and unregistering the text converter MSWord6.wpc but still no go.. I read that that may be the holdup. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Word from the original cd. Any ideas? This I am sure has something to do with pages vs word...

ANSWER: Hi Trish,

This might be out of my expertise but one thing I would suggest is try saving the document in RTF or Rich Text Format and see if it works any better.

If not try sending this question to one of those Apple experts.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: Dale--After sending my question last night I did a system restore for two days back. Voila--things worked out and Word 2002 opened. Have no idea what I did wrong initially but I think I may forego working in Pages from now on..

ANSWER: Hello Trish,

Why didn't I think of that myself?

Way to go!

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: Hi again Dale--I was so antsy about letting Pages convert my document to Word that I took your idea of converting instead to Rich Text Format. I unplugged the flashdrive and took it over to the pc and crossed my fingers that Word on the pc would foul up again. But it did open the document ok. Thing is, it doesn't show a RTF suffix but the Word blue logo icon.  Does Word go ahead and convert the RTF file to Word, assigning it its icon etc? I just thought I'd see an RTF icon...

This converting is nuts!  I now wonder if the version of Word that Pages converts to is a later version and that caused the hang-up.  It's so hard to find out which version is on the macbook...

You don't have to answer--I'm just venting...thanks so much again for your suggestion--which I think will be fine--no more converting to Page's version of Word.  Trish

Hello Again Trish,

Way to go on working out the RTF stuff.

It depends on the assigned default program for opening any type of file and on most PC's that have MS Word you will see the MS Word Icon associated with that type of file.

It is still an RTF format and can be opened with MS Word or Windows Wordpad.

Good luck.

Dale :-)
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley

I must report that I donít use Word 2003, 2007 or 2010 and have yet to be convinced that I need them. Microsoft Word 97 Microsoft Word 2000 Microsoft Word 2002 Please note: I will not answer questions about Fields, Statements, Formulas, Macros, creating and writing specific macros, VBA (Visual Basic Editor) and the Microsoft Script Editor I am willing to answer questions about: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, Graphics, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Formatting, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Web Pages, Email, Hyperlinks, Bookmarks, HTML, Table of Contents, Footnotes, Endnotes, AutoText, AutoCorrect, Headers and Footers, Converting Documents, Customizing Toolbars and Toolbar Icons, Margins, Page Settings, Layout, Dictionaries, Languages, Find and Replace, Mail Merge, Printing, Saving Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, Office Clipboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, Font Lists, Customizing, Options, Templates, Bullets, Numbering, Borders, Using Themes, Fields, Symbols, Document Map, Find and Replace, etc.

Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word in particular is one of the most popular programs that our firm, Computer Help provides instruction, one on one tutoring and consultation. I personally use MS Word for almost every task: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Email Editor and much more. The exception, Graphics and Web Pages. For graphics I use Ulead's PhotoImpact and Microsoft's FrontPage for web site design.

Our column, COMPUTER Help's Q&A The Internet - E-mail,
appears in the Sun City Center PC Computer Club's Newsletter.

Formerly the #1 rated Microsoft Word Expert at since volunteering there in December 2000. In that time, responding to thousands of questions most of which were specific to Microsoft Word.