You are here:

Microsoft Word/how can i put a bookmark or something to go to a particular page


i have a large document
i say something like  For a detailed list of the Navy Yard and Charlestown restaurants, see Page 33-34.      

But as I add text to the document the pages change- is there something like a bookmark or some i can put in that will regenerate the page as i add text to the document?

Page 1
Page 1  

Page 2
Page 2  
Hello Marv Alpert,

Yes, there is an option you can use to associate the text and the page(s).

Please send me an email to and I will send you a file with step by step instructions including screenshots.

In the meantime, see the text version below:

How Cross-Referencing Works
When a cross-reference is created, a field is inserted into your document identifying the item you are referencing (e.g. a table, chart, heading). In the example (See Table A), you would type the brackets and the word See before inserting Table A as a field, as explained below. Fields are usually updated when a document is opened or printed. In addition, you can manually update a field by pressing the F9 key.

To update fields:
1.   To update a single field, place your cursor within the field and press F9
2.   To update all fields in a document, select all text using CTRL + A, then press F9    

Creating a Cross Reference
To create a cross-reference:
1.   Add any introductory text and brackets required.
2.   Place your cursor where the cross-reference should be inserted
3.   Click References | Cross-reference. A Cross-reference dialog box will appear.

4.   Click the Reference type: drop down and select the type of object you want to provide a cross-reference to

5.   Click the Insert reference to: drop down and select the information to be displayed in the cross-reference field
6.   Available headings, captions or footnotes will appear. Select the item you wish to reference

7.   Click Insert
Note: In the example below, we selected the following options:
Reference type: Table
Insert reference to: Entire Caption (highlighted in grey)

The grey area indicates the field that will update if changes are made to the document.

Hope this helps.


Mary Lindsey

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mary A Lindsey


I can answer all Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007 Word questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, simple macros, templates, forms, TOC, TOA, Index, Cross-References, etc. NO VBA.


Over 15 years as a legal Word Processing support personnel and Microsoft Word Master Instructor


Microsoft Office Master Instructor

©2017 All rights reserved.