• Home
  • Computing/Technology
  • Business Software
  • Microsoft Word
  • i have a large document i say something like For a detailed list of the Navy Yard and Charlestown restaurants, see Page 33-34. But as I add text to the document the pages change- is there something like a bookmark or some i can put in that will re

Microsoft Word/i have a large document i say something like For a detailed list of the Navy Yard and Charlestown restaurants, see Page 33-34. But as I add text to the document the pages change- is there something like a bookmark or some i can put in that will re

Question
i have a large document
i say something like  For a detailed list of the Navy Yard and Charlestown restaurants, see Page 33-34.      

But as I add text to the document the pages change- is there something like a bookmark or some i can put in that will regenerate the page as i add text to the document?
marv

Answer
Mary are you referencing a Table of Contents and you want the pages to update as you add text?

if so that can be done.  I am not seeing which version of Word you are using.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-table-of-contents-or-update-a-table-of-contents-eb275189-b93e-4559-8dd9-c279457bfd72

I prefer to create a table of contents based on Heading Styles.
You will apply a Heading Style, Heading 1, 2 or 3 for example to the beginning of a subject

So you need a blank page where you will place the TOC

As you add text you can right click the table of contents and choose update entire table.

If this is not what you are looking for let me know.

Nancy
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski