Microsoft Word/Creating multiple bulleted columns in Word 2010

Question
I am working on a resume and want to insert keywords in 3 columns with a bullet before each one. I am able to do this using tables, but someone told me that resumes are first input into ATS systems that can't read tables. I tried to use the bullet icon from the symbols group followed by a tab, which is OK if I do just one column, but tabbing forward where the second column should be just moves the first entry forward. Then I tried to set it up using the space bar to the where second and third columns should be, but the enties are all misaligned. How can I set up even columns without using tables?

Answer
Word
Word  
Melanie, I am not understanding how you are creating bullets and if you are trying to create a bulleted list, or just one bullet.

Not sure what first entry is?

So.

I am assuming the keywords are on their own line and not within a paragraph.

There are a couple of ways to have even columns and I do not see which version of Word you are using.

Turn on the show hide symbols (CTRL+Shift+8)if you don't already have them visible.  Select all the text you want to be in 3 columns but do not select the very last paragraph symbol of the selected text.  Then choose 3 columns.  You now have your text in 3 columns.

I would use the bullet tool to create a bullet, this is on the home TAB, Paragraph Group.
Your targeted word is on a line all by itself.
Click on the word and select the Bullet icon.

If more text than the targeted word is indented than you have a soft return after the word. Go to the end of the targeted word and hit enter.  

You should be able to created bullets in each column without disturbing the columns.

I have attached an image showing an example.

Nancy  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski