Microsoft Word/Inserting a page number into a TOC

Hi Nancy,

I needed to create a table of contents by hand to preserve the original layout of the TOC of the document I'm revising.  Each TOC entry, includes a paragraph that ends with leader and the page number where the chapter begins.  To insert each page number months ago, I thought, I needed to bookmark that page and then put something after the leader to make the number of the bookmarked page appear there.  Please tell me each step I need to do to put it there.  Thanks.

Bill - I would suggest you check out the free tutorial at  

How to create a Table of Contents with Marked text

and just in case
How to automatically create a TOC

Hopefully this will help.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.