Microsoft Word/legal document line number & page number problem

Question
I have Office 2010 and am working with MS Word.  I have a legal document I am working with.  I want line numbers on each page (they restart on each page).  I have section breaks between the cover page,2 tables of contents and the rest of the body of the document.  I have successfully numbered the table of content pages with a different numbering system that starts on the body of the document.  What I can't manage is having no number on the cover page.  When I try select the page number on the cover page and click on different first page, it takes off the number on that first page but also takes off the line numbering for that page.  I want the page numbering to stay on that first page, I just don't want a page number on that first page.  Is there a way to do this?

Answer
I'm not sure why you would want line numbering on a cover page, and I'm not sure exactly what you're dealing with here. You say you have "section breaks between the cover page,2 tables of contents and the rest of the body of the document." Do you mean that you have a section break between the cover page and the TOCs or just a section break between the front matter (cover page and TOCs) and the rest of the document? If the former, then there is no point using "Different First Page"; it will get rid of the page number, but it's also not necessary since you can accomplish the same thing by unlinking the cover page section from the TOC section. If all the front matter is in the same section, then "Different First Page" makes sense. But line numbering is a section property, so enabling "Different First Page" should have no effect on it.

In the Page Setup dialog, on the Layout tab, before you enable Line Numbering, make sure that you have "Whole document" selected, not "This section" or "This point forward." (FWIW, "This point forward" doesn't work for line numbering, which applies to an entire section except for any paragraphs in which you suppress it on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog.)
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill