Microsoft Word/Word 2010 spellcheck misses a word

Question
QUESTION: Hi Suzanne - one of my co-workers using Word 2010 created a document with the word "APPENDICES" in it, except he misspelled the word like this: AFPENDICES. Word completely missed it. It caught other words in the document, and the misspelled word isn't in his custom dictionary. Any idea what might have happened?

Thanks,
Dawn

ANSWER: As a general rule, when Word doesn't flag a word as misspelled, it's because (a) the spelling is acceptable (as in the situation where UK English accepts words with both -ize and -ise suffixes, even though many Britons regard one or the other as incorrect), (b) the spelling is actually correct in another language, which is the language applied to the text, or (c) the text in question has been marked as "Do not check spelling or grammar." Needless to say, (c) is the most common case. As explained in my article at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm, language is a font format that can be applied to text just like bold or italics. Theoretically, it can be applied to as little as a single letter, though in practice I have had no luck with marking just parts of a word as "no proofing."

In any case, the general solution is to make sure that no text in your document is formatted as "Do not check..." The simplest approach is to select the entire document (Ctrl+A) and then go to the Language group on the Review tab, click Language, then Set Proofing Language, and make sure that the check box for "Do not check spelling or grammar" is completely clear. If it is filled (shaded), click twice to check and then clear it.

Ctrl+A will select only the document body, so it won't affect headers and footers and other text that is not in the main document, but this should take care of most of the issues. If you have problems in other specific areas (such as a header or footer), select the text there and repeat the process.

QUESTION: Suzanne - thanks as usual for your prompt reply! We this doc and selected the entire thing, and the "Do not check" button was shaded, so we removed that. But Word still didn't put a wavy red line under the misspelled word. Then we removed a letter and put it back in, and we got the red line.

Just for grins I opened this doc on my computer (Word 2013), and the misspelled word wasn't underlined. I selected just the word, but the "Do not check button" was not checked or shaded. So I removed and replaced a letter, and got the red line.

This is confusing to me, because I'm not sure how to know when Word will work right. Does my co-worker need to check the "Do not check" button for all of the documents he sends out? I don't think I've seen this problem before.

Answer
I haven't seen anything quite like that, but I've seen the reverse--where a word was flagged as incorrect, and I corrected it, and it was still underlined. Usually it's just a matter of screen updating. If you page down and back up or switch to Print Preview and back, you will probably get the correct display. The bottom line, though, is that it is an intermittent problem of indeterminate cause that's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill