Microsoft Word/index for manual

Question
QUESTION: Hi Suzanne,

I have 25 technical chapters (each a separate Word file containing many tables, photos, and figures) that I am combining into one PDF, which is a manual.  That part is all good. My question is in regards to making an index of technical terms for the final document which will be its own section at the end of the document.  

I can make an index in a Word file, that is no problem, but I need one master integrated index, not 25 separate ones.  

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for the PDF. I can't find an option for inserting an index.

Seems like such a simple problem, yet I can't figure it out.

Thanks for any help,
Lisa

ANSWER: It would be far easier if you would combine all the chapters into a single Word file and then make the index. Making an index is no simple thing even then (for instructions and suggestions, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm). If you insist on keeping them separate, you'll need to use an RD field, in a separate Word file, to compile the index for the 25 chapters (though you'll still have the work of inserting the XE fields). For help with that, see https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Create-a-table-of-contents-for-multiple-documents-b7f75d94-ba5e-4a99-972a-1705718640f6 (this is for a TOC, but it works the same way for an index, I believe).

Another approach is to create a Master Document; for instructions on that, see http://wordribbon.tips.net/T013128_Creating_a_Single_Index_from_Multiple_Documen. Be aware that Master Documents are risky; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

QUESTION: Thanks for the help.  I haven't had luck with master documents in the past, although granted it was awhile ago that I used them.

I broke these chapters into separate documents because they are complicated and Word was hanging up; I would end up with crashing and corrupted files on a regular basis.  I suppose that I could try again.

Is there a way to combine the chapters without using copy/paste?

Answer
Regardless of how you do it, the real work is in marking the index entry fields, and you can do that with the documents separated. Then you could try using the RD field solution to see if it works to your satisfaction. The difficulty there would be that you will have to have restarted numbering in each chapter to follow that in the previous one, and you'll need to have the XE fields hidden to make sure the page numbering is correct.

If you want to combine the chapters, assuming that they are all based on the same template (and therefore have the same styles, page formatting, etc.), then just create a copy of the first chapter (or front matter) and then use Insert | File (in Word 2003 or earlier) or Insert | Text | Object | Text from File in Word 2007 or later) to append each additional file to the end. If you want section breaks between the chapters, then you can insert a section break at the end of the document before adding each chapter.

Word can handle very long, complex documents, but it does sometimes become cumbersome to work with them (in my experience, each Save can take a very long time). But if the editing is complete before you combine them, so that little manipulation is required, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The last big book I made had 756 pages, 770 footnotes, and 218 inline images (not counting the few wrapped ones), and I handled it in one file (though without an index), and there are reports of documents of 10,000 pages created in Word, so it can be done!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill