Microsoft Word/Inserting a page number into a TOC

Question
Dear Ms. Lindsey,

Months ago, a friend of mine helped me add automatically updateable page numbers to a table of contents where each entry included a chapter description, leader, and a manually changeable page number.  After we inserted the leader, my friend taught me a way to associate each chapter description with the first page of that chapter.  So if I clicked a page number in the TOC, the computer jumped instantly to the corresponding page as though the number were a hyperlink.

Since another friend of mine needs me to keep the already-existing TOC, he asked me not to make the computer use Word to generate a one.  So there's one TOC entry that still needs a link from it page number to the corresponding page.  What can I do to link them?  I seem to remember that to do that, I need to change only the line needing the link(?).

Thank you for your help.

Bill

Answer
Hello Bill,

Thank you for your query.

If I understand this correctly, I think you are hoping to 'mark' a heading (or some text) you would like to be updated in your TOC.

Well this is what I think you need to do.

Select the word or words you want to include in the TOC and associate a style to the TOC entry within the main document.

Hope this helps.

Best,

eDoc Support  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey