Microsoft Word/Select Records to Print in Mail Merge?

Hi Suzanne,

I'm completing a mail merge and have everything good to go. The merge contains 115 or so records of which for the time being only 5 I want to print/merge.

In the Excel database, those 5 records are marked "Yes" in a column and therefore I want only those to show in the merge (until I've added "Yes" to others).

Is there a way to do this? I'm using Microsoft Office Professional 2010.

While in theory you can "filter" the results to include just those with Yes in a given field, Word 2002 and above offer what to me seems an easier way (especially for relatively small databases such as yours) since it doesn't involve fiddling with merge fields.

1. Assuming you have created the mail merge main document and linked it to your data source, click Edit Recipient List in the Start Mail Merge group of the Mailings tab. This opens the Mail Merge Recipients dialog.

2. Double-click the title bar of the dialog to maximize it, making it easier to see your records.

3. You'll probably see that all the records have a check in the check box. Check the box in the header row to clear all the check boxes.

4. Check just the boxes of the records you want to print.

5. When you have checked all the desired boxes, click OK to close the dialog.

6. Then click the appropriate button in the Finish & Merge section to create, print, or email new documents from the main document.

If for some reason you don't want to use this method, you can click on Filter in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog, select the field you want to filter on (the one with Yes in it), and set "Comparison" to "Equal to" and "Compare to" to "Yes."
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors