Microsoft Word/AutoFill

hi Suzanne, how've you been?

I use Word 2010 and Windows 7.
I want to be able to enter just a few letters, that will trigger a much larger content.
For example,  I will enter "Howee" and the document should show...

Howard Morningstar
123 Main Street
Beverly Hills, MI 12345

I click on the Insert tab, then, in the Text group, I click on Quick Parts. I see a number of panes; near the bottom there are a number of lines. There is also a line, very pale, "Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery". I choose AutoText, and a pane appears which is similar to pane I just mentioned. For this pane, there is also a very pale line at the bottom , the "Save Selection to AutoText Gallery".
So in neither case can I save anything because these two lines are pale and not accesible.
But I can't find the place to enter my short "howee" and the three lines that will appear when I enter "Howee".

Can you help?

There's a reason it says, "Save Selection...": you have to have text selected. Here's an easier way: Type the text you want to be inserted when you type "howee." Press Alt+F3. You'll get the Create New Building Block dialog. Type "howee" as the name of the AutoText entry and leave everything else at the default settings. (If you want to enter a description, you can, but it's not required.) Click OK. Now when you type "howe," you'll get an AutoComplete tip. Press Enter, and your address will be inserted.

Note that you need type only the first four letters of the AutoText entry name (assuming that they are unique--there isn't another AutoText entry with a name that begins with the same four letters). If you're really impatient, you can type just the first couple of letters and press F3.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors