Microsoft Word/using a few characters to generate a long title

Hello, Karen, pleased to meet you!

Using Word 2010, I want to be able to enter just a few letters, say, perhaps four letters, click Enter, and then see a much longer entry.

For example, I'm dealing with a firm with a long name, "Jones, Jones and Dunbar". In my letter, this name has to appear many times; it is a nuisance to have to type such a long name. I want to be able to type,say, "Jone" and see the full name of the firm appear every time.

How do I accomplish this?

Hi there Chris,

This is quite easy. Go to View - Macros - Create Macro.

In the Macros Dialogue, enter a name into the Macro Name field... such as "Jones" or whatever makes sense for you.

Now click on the button in the Assign to" section that says "Keyboard". A new dialogue will pop up.

In the "press new Shortcut Key" field, type a shortcut which is made of pressing the "Alt"key plus another key on the keyboard, perhaps Alt-J (ie. the Alt key + letter J)... it has to be something that is unique enough not to interrupt your normal typing.

Now click "Assign". Then click "Close".

Back in the Word editing area you will see that the cursor has changed to a recording tape symbol, type the phrase you want the shortcut to represent, ie. type John B. Jones

Now go back to the View - Macros menu item and choose "Stop Recording".

You should now be able to use "Alt+j" to insert this text for you.

Hope this helps!

See also the Microsoft help for creating macros (both button Macros and Keyboard Macros):
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Karen Lee Biddle

I'be been using Word and other Windows Office software for a long time now and am happy to help you find a solution to to your problem or query. Sometimes I may not have the answer, but hopefully I can put you in the right direction!

Word: experienced with tables, mail merge, graphics, paragraph styles, sections, tables of contents/index. Excel: some formula experience and happy to help find the right formula for the required output.