Microsoft Word/Mail Merge

hi Aidan, how've you been?
I use Word 2010 and Windows 7
I want to use the Mail Merge feature, but I'm having trouble using the Address Block item.

I put my letter on the screen, then I open the Mail Merge task pane
   then I click Write Your Letter
     then I click the Address Block to see the Insert Address Block dialog box
At the lower right of the dialog box, I click the Match Fields button and I see a list of items created by Word
(see the table immediately below)

Required for Address Block:
     Courtesy Title
     First name
     Last name
     Postal Code

The Fields in my Database, seen when I click the drop-down arrow of the
Match Fields button:

The second table above is the drop-down list. The list shows all the fields that I created and are in the first row of my data base. I think that Iím supposed to match Wordís list with my list, but I just donít get the connections.
I don't understand the connection between the first list above and the fields in my data base in the second list above.

When I do the merge, I donít find the desired results.
I realize that this matter is not easy to explain in writing; being able to speak would help, but that is  probably beyond the AllEXperts framework.
I would like to hear what you have to see about all this; maybe you can refer me to a good tutorial that would help.

I don't like how microsoft try to make merges easy - and therefore make them harder!  Back in earlier versions, merge was as simple as 1-2-3 - literally, because it was a three step wizard.  Putting fields in was always down to  you and I'd strongly recommend keeping it that way - don't fight with the wizards!

Rather than use the address block section, simply use the "INSERT MERGE FIELD" section - this will allow you to put the fields you want where you want them.

It may help (if this isn't clear) to send me a sample file (and data source, though I can build that if needs be) and I can let you have a document ready to merge - I should be able to record the actions of setting it up as a video for you - my email is
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards