Microsoft Word/using forms that are filled in

Question
QUESTION: hello, Suzanne, how are you?

This email is intended to serve two purposes; one is a technical issue, the other is more difficult to define but it is intended to alert Microsoft to what I perceive as insufficient attention to one of the tools/features in Word.

First, a technical question for you.
I believe that the ultimate usefulness of filled-in forms (in Word) is to be able to transfer the information (provided by the individual filling out the form) to a database that can then be used to perform Mail Merge and other techniques that handle large amounts of data.

I cannot find, neither in a computer book, nor on-line, any information/instructions that allow the individual (collecting the forms)to extract the data entered by the those who filled in the forms.

To simply send the filled forms to the ultimate collector so that he/she can look them over is ridiculous. That individual wants to extract the data and organize it in a methodical way, such as creating a database.

So.. can you tell me how to move the filled-in text to a database?

My second question-see the top paragraph-is...
Who at Microsoft can I contact to ask and alert them to this issue, i.e. the missing tools for moving data from the form to a database. Neither in Word 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013, are the necessary tools readily available.

As always, thank you for your timely and wise replies.

Chris

ANSWER: For the first question: I think the answers you've received at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/making-use-of-f are better than any I can give.

For the second question, see http://word.uservoice.com/, Word's "Suggestion Box."

QUESTION: Thank you, Suzanne, for your clear and prompt reply.

It appears that we don't see the issue in the same way.
The very fact that the user needs to search for someone's help says it all!

It is the obligation of the Microsoft team to make the instructions for data retrieval a vital part of the subject of form letters. The steps that I'm asking for should not be a separate subject, but instead, part and parcel of the form letter.
What Microsoft did was to give us a glass of orange juice that lacks the fruit.

Your thoughts?

Chris

Answer
I don't disagree with your assumption that this is something that should be easy to do. What I meant to imply is that I don't have any experience with it, and that the Community users who posted links to their VBA solutions were the best references I could offer. That said, there are increasingly many features of Word about which users need to search for help, especially since Word's Help has been kneecapped. That is the reason for the Community forum.

I imagine that Microsoft envisioned Access and Visio as its database and form solutions (in the same way that it refuses to include spreadsheet capabilities in Word other than by providing for embedding an Excel sheet). But the new UserVoice site is intended to solicit user suggestions, so I suggest you pursue your recommendation there. It will certainly be a better suggestion than some that have so far been offered (and a lot better written)!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill