Microsoft Word/Word 2013 Did Not Save My Edits

Hi Suzanne:

Yesterday I worked with a client for over an hour and I saved the document every few minutes.  When I opened my Word document today, not only were the changes I had made not there, but the highlights that I had removed were back.  Very strange.  I have also been having trouble unhighlighting words, but after a few tries in different ways, I was successful.  Can you help me?  It's very frustrating.

Did you open the document from an email attachment? If so, every time you saved it, you were saving to a temporary folder. See for some possible help with that. Alternatively, were you working on the file in OneDrive? I have no experience with that, but if you didn't save the file to your hard drive, you may have to find it online.

If you were using Track Changes while you edited, perhaps you're looking at the wrong view (Original instead of Final).

As for highlighting, you should be able to remove it by reselecting it and setting the highlight color to None. If the "highlighting" is actually text shading, you should be able to remove it by selecting the text and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors