Microsoft Word/MS Office Word Compatibility issues

I am currently attend college and need a new computer to mainly type papers and for basic web browsing and email, so I am not interesting in owning an new laptop or desktop that I would barely use or want to carry around otherwise. I have my eye on a few tablets/notebooks that offer Microsoft Office 365 and utilize cloud storage such as a small nextbook,chrome book or hp stream. However, I am concerned with compatibility and formatting issues when it comes time transfer and edit word documents back and forth with my professors who may be using a traditional Microsoft Office version running on a regular PC such as Office 2007,2010, or 2013.

For instance, I onced typed a few documents on my android in emergency using a word app. It came out fine on my end actually, but the format opened in complete disarray on the recipients end who was using a desktop.

So, I am hoping you would provide further insight on making my next purchase because I don't want to buy a new laptop or desktop unless I absolutely have to.
Thank you for your time.

If you have Office 365, you have no issues with compatability - the file format is the same across all the versions you mention.  If you were using Open Office (for example) then there MAY be issues, but even then office 365 will open them quite happily.  Office 365 is quite happy to use Microsoft One Drive - it's built in - which is cloud storage - so again, no issue.  SO in short, IF you are saving in Office format, you have NO issues around sharing the files.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards