Microsoft Word/degree mark

Helo Ms. Barnhill,

I'm using MS Word 2013.  Can you tell me how to make the degree sign?

Also, do you think MS will offer a stand alone upgrade of Word 2016 for PC?  I am a novelist, and I have zero use for an Office 365 subscription.  I just want to upgrade Word 2013 to Word 2016 for PC.

I look forward to your reply.

All the Best,

J. D. Lowes

In any version of Word, the keyboard shortcut for a degree sign is Ctrl+@, Spacebar. That is, press Ctrl and @ (Shift+2 on U.S. keyboards) and release, then press the spacebar.

Like you, I have no desire to have Office 365, and I would hope that Microsoft would offer a local install of Office 2016. However, you need not feel a strong need to upgrade. Although I have not seen Word 2016, I have the word of a fellow MVP who wrote a book on Word 2013 that, in addition to a specific feature that I asked about (unchanged), "Much else in Word 2016 is also identical to 2013. There are just a few UI differences (most of the work this time was on the infrastructure)." Judging from his further detailed remarks, there are no significant changes and no real new features except improvements in collaboration. There are changes in the grammar checker that are already drawing complaints. The QAT icon spacing has been further increased (also a sore point for those who had filled the QAT). Although Help is still available via F1, there is no Help button but instead a "Tell Me" feature in which Word asks what you want to do (shades of Clippy!). There is a "Colorful" UI, which is an improvement, but the disastrous implementation of text boundaries has not been corrected.

All in all, if you're relatively satisfied with Word 2013, I'd advise just sticking with it.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors