Microsoft Word/Deleted files by accident.

Good morning,

I am lost with my just recent answer from one of your other experts by the name of Ms. Suzanne S. Barnhill.  Here is her answer way below after with what I had sent her.  Could you help or direct me please?  I am using Microsoft Office Word 2007 so why am I being directed to a Windows expert?

(Copy below of what was sent on the 25-26 Sept.)

I recently deleted some files which I knew for sure I saved onto my external hard drive prior to me working on my computer to change out the motherboard along with upgrading the memory.  
   Those files were on my desktop so I copied and saved them to my external.  I then deleted them from the recycling bin prior to the fact when I saw that my files were not saved to my external come to find out, ouch!  The only thing that shows up on my external for that same day are my typical Microsoft, Internet and so forth icons but not my paper files nor my photos, strange?
   I tried to use the program Recuva and it seemed to work up to a point but I am not able to open my files at all?  I am not savvy with computers, I will be honest.  How lost are my files if I have not saved anything since this past Saturday on the 19th. when this happened?
   I have tried to research on the Internet for recovering deleted files but I am very skeptical as I do not want to upload a potential virus.  Can you or someone else help me, please?  This really bites!

Thank you,

Joel T. González
Following is the reason:

I really wish I could help; I can imagine how devastated you feel. But unfortunately this is outside my expertise as a Word expert. You really need to ask a Windows expert about this one.

Expert: Suzanne S. Barnhill

Hi Joel,

It would appear that Susanne was correct; this is not a Word issue but a Windows issue even if some of the files were Word files.

While I am not exactly a Windows Expert I am a Windows user and have been in your shoes all to often. I too have used Recuva with limited results but is is rated very high in it's class of programs.

It is good that you have not saved anything to your hard drive but windows will use hard drive space quite in a random fashion and overwrite deleted areas.

There are any number of File and Disc Recovery Programs out there, some free, some not so free and you could try some other programs. Just keep in mind that the more you use your computer the more areas could be overwritten.

However, since you pointed out that you are not savvy with computers you might consider taking your system to a computer shop or local expert to help retrieve what files can be restored.

By the way for future reference; I not only check any backups I do but use an online backup service also.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley

I must report that I don’t use Word 2003, 2007 or 2010 and have yet to be convinced that I need them. Microsoft Word 97 Microsoft Word 2000 Microsoft Word 2002 Please note: I will not answer questions about Fields, Statements, Formulas, Macros, creating and writing specific macros, VBA (Visual Basic Editor) and the Microsoft Script Editor I am willing to answer questions about: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, Graphics, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Formatting, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Web Pages, Email, Hyperlinks, Bookmarks, HTML, Table of Contents, Footnotes, Endnotes, AutoText, AutoCorrect, Headers and Footers, Converting Documents, Customizing Toolbars and Toolbar Icons, Margins, Page Settings, Layout, Dictionaries, Languages, Find and Replace, Mail Merge, Printing, Saving Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, Office Clipboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, Font Lists, Customizing, Options, Templates, Bullets, Numbering, Borders, Using Themes, Fields, Symbols, Document Map, Find and Replace, etc.

Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word in particular is one of the most popular programs that our firm, Computer Help provides instruction, one on one tutoring and consultation. I personally use MS Word for almost every task: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Email Editor and much more. The exception, Graphics and Web Pages. For graphics I use Ulead's PhotoImpact and Microsoft's FrontPage for web site design.

Our column, COMPUTER Help's Q&A The Internet - E-mail,
appears in the Sun City Center PC Computer Club's Newsletter.

Formerly the #1 rated Microsoft Word Expert at since volunteering there in December 2000. In that time, responding to thousands of questions most of which were specific to Microsoft Word.