Microsoft Word/Controlling the scrolling yellow dialog box

I work for a film production company, and my director is writing a script on Word. He wants to be able to easily & quickly scroll from scene to scene, but when he pulls down the scroll bar, the yellow dialog box that pops up seems to arbitrarily correspond to different sections of the document. Is there a way we can set the dialog box to correspond to each scene? We have tried playing around with settings and headings, to no avail. Would appreciate any advice! Thank you.

The popups do reflect headings--that is paragraphs that have an outline level greater than Body Text. This applies to Word's built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.), but you can also create custom styles with a Level 1, Level 2, etc., outline level, and you can change the outline level of any given paragraph (the setting is in the Paragraph dialog).

A better approach, however, that also uses headings, is the Document Map in Word 2007 and earlier or the Navigation Pane in Word 2010 and above. With either of these displayed, you have a list of all the headings in a pane to the left of the document, and when you click on one, you go immediately to that portion of the document.

So what you need to do for either solution is apply a heading style to your scene numbers (Scene 1, Scene 2, etc.); you don't have to settle for the default formatting; you can modify it to your specifications or you can create a custom style with the desired outline level. You could also just format the scene numbers as Level 1, but this would be more trouble than defining or modifying a style and applying it systematically.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors