Microsoft Word/How to start page numbering after TOC

Question
I am struggling with how to ask my question.  Hoping you will understand what I need.

I am creating an Appendix section for 2-side printing for a family tree book that has multiple chapters (sections), with a TOC that is being updated and growing in length as I add sections.  

I have the first chapter set to be on an even numbered page.  Page numbers in the footers will be on the outer edges of the odd/even pages.  Iíve unlinked the first chapter footer w/page number from the previous section.  My problem is when I insert the page number it is a 2 instead of a 1 even though I have the page number format set to start at page 1.  

The longer Iíve worked on fixing this, the more confused Iíve become.  At one point I saw that the start number should be set at 0.  I tried that.  First chapter page number was 0.

Iím not an expert at using Word, but I am wondering if Iím seeing a Word glitch and if I need to insert some code to override the 2 and force the numbering to start with 1?

Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thank you,
Genelle

Answer
Genelle - you are by far not the first person having difficulty dealing with "Section Breaks" and page numbering in Microsoft Word.

Microsoft explains it much better than I can.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-section-break-EEF20FD8-E38C-4BA6-A027-E503BDF8375C

You are creating a booklet with odd and even page numbers, all of which add to the confusion.  It is not uncommon to have to start over when creating a document with this type of formatting.

I would suggest reviewing the following.  Create a small sample document with just a few pages and practice.

Nancy

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski