Microsoft Word/Styles problem

Question
Hi Mary,
I'm working with Word 2007 and have used styles over the years without any problem. I'm reformatting a book of mine as an eBook saved into the compatibility mode. It's a big book so I'm trying to streamline the formatting. There are only about 10 styles I need that I created. I want to get rid of the other styles (at least another 20) that are in the Styles list so that I don't have to continually scroll through them all. In the 'Style Pane Options' the 'Only in this document' is selected.
I've Googled the question as to whether I can remove those unwanted styles and just work with the ones I want but my question isn't answered directly. What concerns me is whether it will affect any other future documents. Will those other unwanted styles still be available in any other document? From all the articles I've read, it appears that there's no problem but I'm just being cautious.
Can you reassure me that everything will be normal in other documents other than this one?
Many thanks,
Lyn

Answer
Good day Lyn,

Thank you for your question.

As far as I am aware, when you create and save styles to the normal.dot template, those styles remain across all Word documents created from that template until or unless otherwise removed.  Therefore in this situation you refer to, removing styles from the document will do just that, however styles will be available the next time you create a document from the normal template.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lindsey
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey