Microsoft Word/MS Word 7 templates

Question
I have some kind of disconnect with templates in Word 7. I can create a template and put it somewhere, but then when I create a new file I get no automatic reference to it. No apparent location to go in the popup screen used when creating a new file. I can navigate to it and create a file of course, but Word appears to be set up to have them some place in particular.  

I suppose what I would like is for it to show up My Templates or something like that.

So... what am I missing?

John

Answer
As discussed in my article at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/CreateTemplate.htm#Word2007, in Word 2003, when you choose .dot as the file type, Word automatically switches you to the Templates folder. Word 2007 doesn't do this; it lets you save templates (.dot, .dotx, and .dotm files) anywhere. For the template to be displayed in the New dialog (My templates...), it has to be saved in the folder designated for templates. By default, this is the folder where the Normal template is stored; you can set this folder (or ascertain its location) from Office Button | Word Options | Advanced: File locations (the path for "User templates"). Once you've established the location of this folder, it is helpful to add it to the Favorites list in the folder pane of the Save dialog.

For more information on creating and using templates, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/CreateTemplate.htm
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill