Microsoft Word/Font colors: Standard, Recent, and Custom

Hello Mary,

In Word (2007) there are "Standard" colors, "Recent" colors, and "Custom" colors. Choosing a Standard color means not having to go into "More Colors" and choose, on each occasion, a Custom color (thus, to make  it a "Recent" one.)

As regards a particular custom color font I use a lot, I somehow and long ago managed to reassign it so it has ever since appeared in my Standard Colors pallet (immediately available when I click on the Fonts icon). The trouble is, I have never been able to repeat this handy trick with other Custom or Recent colors. This means that every time I want to use another (regularly chosen) Custom color I must go through the full and irritating process

So, how do I do that (again)?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the question.

If I understand correctly, here is what I believe you should do.

On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Change Styles, then Colors. Click Create New Theme Colors and assign your colors as appropriate. Save the theme with an appropriate name. For illustrated instructions, see or (or the Microsoft version at

Note that if you are distributing templates that use your color theme, you must also distribute the *.thmx file that contains your theme.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lindsey
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey

I can answer all Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007 Word questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, simple macros, templates, forms, TOC, TOA, Index, Cross-References, etc. NO VBA.

Over 15 years as a legal Word Processing support personnel and Microsoft Word Master Instructor

Microsoft Office Master Instructor