Microsoft Word/TOC

Question
Hi Mary,

I hope you can please help me?

I have a Word doc that has several stories and most of those stories has a TOC for chapters.

I was wondering if I'd be able to have a TOC at the start of the document that links to the start of each story e.g. the title of the story, without it interfering with the existing TOCs in place?

Thanks,

Lisa.

Answer
UPDATE:

Hi Lisa,

I understand 100%. No problem.

Here is my recommendation.  

Lock (CTRL+Shift+F9) your current TOCs and then create another TOC that is linked to the story titles.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Mary

============

Hi Mary,

Thanks for responding.  If you have the sample document that would be great.

If you don't mind I'll try myself first only because the document is quite large to send and the content isn't actually mine!  I'm doing somebody a favor by typing it up for them but got stuck on the TOC part :)

If push comes to shove, I'll get their permission if I can't do it myself.

Thanks again,

Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

Yes you can certainly do this.  However I need to set something up first and then response back with the sample.  Please send an email address to me at aumal@leldc.com and I will get the sample document (with explanation) back to you post haste.  If you are amenable (and with respect to global privacy and confidentiality clauses) you can also send the actual file and I will get this sorted for you.

Best,

Mary  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey