Microsoft Word/MS Word 2003 TOC

I've checked all of my headings to make sure they are the correct level, but when I try to insert a TOC nothing happens. I do have a page break and continuous breaks, but it once worked with these breaks and now it doesn't even add a TOC. Absolutely nothing happens. How can I remedy this? I greatly appreciate your help.

Hi there Angie

To create the TOC, you must first ensure that all the headings that you want to include in it are formatted with the right paragraph styles (it sounds like you have done this).

I don't have 2003 installed any more so I am pasting in the Microsoft help link for this topic:

To insert a TOC field:
Start Word, and then open your document.
Click an empty paragraph where you want to insert the table of contents.
On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and then click Index and Tables.
Click the Table of Contents tab, and then click Show Outlining Toolbar.
In the Index and Tables dialog box, select the options that you want to apply to your table of contents, and then click OK.

You receive the following message:
To add or remove items in the table of contents:

1. Select text in your document.
2. Click the outline level in the toolbar to make the text appear in the table of contents.
NOTE: If the text contained in your document is not marked to be included in a TOC, you receive the following error message, which appears in your document instead of the TOC:
Error! No table of contents entries found.
Click OK.

The main thing is that the paragraph styles that Word expects to use for the TOC must be the same ones that you have used to format your heading paragraphs.

Hope this helps!

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Karen Lee Biddle

I'be been using Word and other Windows Office software for a long time now and am happy to help you find a solution to to your problem or query. Sometimes I may not have the answer, but hopefully I can put you in the right direction!

Word: experienced with tables, mail merge, graphics, paragraph styles, sections, tables of contents/index. Excel: some formula experience and happy to help find the right formula for the required output.