Microsoft Word/changing screen color in Outlook 2003

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dale!

You're the Word expert but I feel that you can help me with a simple Microsoft Outlook issue.

I want to change the screen color from white to something darker. I know how to change the page color in Word, and the spreadsheet color in Excel, but how do I make the change in Outlook?

Thanks for your reply

Chris

2003_Outlook_Options_Menu
2003_Outlook_Options_M  
ANSWER: Hi Chris,

Word expert is stretching my expertise and kind of you to say.

I have Outlook 2007 not 2003 but I will try and help you.

I will be at a drawback since I can't look at and try your Menu Choices.

Try some of these:

Click Customize Outlook Today
Under Styles
Unfortunately you only have two choices and neither of them are dark

Changing the Look of Stationery

You can easily make adjustments to the appearance of a stationery that Outlook provides. For example, you may wish to change the font, background color, or picture of an established stationery.

From the Tools menu, select Options...
The Options dialog box appears.
Select the Mail Format tab

1.   In the Message format section, from the Compose in this message format pull-down list, select HTML
2.   In the Stationery and Fonts section, click STATIONERY PICKER...
The Stationery Picker dialog box appears.
NOTE: If this option is grayed out, make sure HTML is selected under Compose in this message format.
3.   In the Stationery scroll box, select the stationery you want to alter
NOTE: Some styles of Stationery can not be edited.
4.   Click EDIT...
The Edit Stationery dialog box appears.
5.   In the Message font section, click CHANGE FONT...
The Font dialog box appears.
6.   In the Font dialog box, make the desired changes
7.   Click OK
8.   To change the background picture
a.   From the Background section, select Picture
b.   From the Picture pull-down list, select the desired option

OR To have the background as a solid color

c.   From the Background section, select Color
d.   From the Color pull-down list, select the desired color

NOTE: Stationery can have either a background picture or a solid color background.

9.   To exit the Edit Stationery dialog box, click OK
10.   To exit the Stationery Picker dialog box, click OK
11.   To exit the Options dialog box, click OK

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: Dale, you are something else!
I have never seen any expert put as much time and effort into providing an answer, as you have done in your above reply.

I am unable to proceed beyond sentence 7. I cannot find the Background section that you describe in item 8.

Please tell me where to find the Background section.

Thanks,

Chris

ANSWER: Hello Again Chris,

I will copy the instructions again in case I left something out and give you the URL of the web site where I found the information. Maybe by going to the web site which is the University of Wisconsin you can make some sense of it all.

Microsoft Outlook 2003
Automating Appearance with Stationery

https://www.uwec.edu/Help/outlook03/MAIL-sttnry.htm

Changing the Look of Stationery

From the Tools menu, select Options...
The Options dialog box appears.

Select the Mail Format tab
Options dialog box

In the Message format section, from the Compose in this message format pull-down list, select HTML

In the Stationery and Fonts section, click STATIONERY PICKER...

In the Stationery scroll box, select the stationery you want to alter

Click EDIT...
The Edit Stationery dialog box appears.

In the Message font section, click CHANGE FONT...
The Font dialog box appears.

In the Font dialog box, make the desired changes

Click OK

To change the background picture
From the Background section, select Picture
From the Picture pull-down list, select the desired option
OR
To have the background as a solid color
From the Background section, select Color
From the Color pull-down list, select the desired color

To exit the Edit Stationery dialog box, click OK

To exit the Stationery Picker dialog box, click OK

To exit the Options dialog box, click OK

Good luck.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: Hello again!

I'm becoming a pest, Dale, and I'm sorry, but I cannot find the Background section.
How do I get there? What dialog box, and where in that dialog box, precedeskrh48 the Background section?

Chris

Answer
Hi Again,

Lets walk through it and see where you stop.

Can you do this:

From the Tools menu, select Options... (The Options dialog box appears.)

Select the Mail Format tab

In the Stationery and Fonts section, click Fonts

From what I read above you should find the Background section under Fonts if not there try looking under Stationary Picker.

If that fails why not use one of the Stationary?

Let me know how this goes.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley