Microsoft Word/using Microsoft Outlook

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dale!

Can you help me with a question in Microsoft Outlook 2003?
The experts in this area are on vacation.

Thanks

Chris

ANSWER: Hi Chris,

I have Outlook version 2007 but I think 2003 and 2007 are a lot alike so I will try to help you.

Dale :-)

QUESTION: Hi Dale!

I'm talking about the Tasks feature.
Let's say I schedule a task for Thursday August 11, at 10 AM.
The day has come and gone past 10 AM, it is now 2 PM, so I go back to my Outlook program and....
HERE'S MY POINT: In the Due Date column, I expect to see 1)a notation that the task was completed, or 2)the date is crossed out.
Similarly, in the %Complete column, I expect to see a 100% entry.
But neither of the above happened. I concluded that I'm expected to make my own way of noting that the the task is done, i.e., I have to manually cross out the due date, and manually enter "100% complete".

If such is the case, I'm disappointed; I would expect Microsoft to know that 2 PM is later than 10 AM and make a notation that the task is complete.
On second thought, maybe I'm expecting too much. How would Microsoft know whether the task was performed?

Pardon my rambling, but I'd like to see your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Chris

Answer
Task End By
Task End By  
Hello Again Chris,

Not sure the graphic made it to allexperts server so I will try to send it again.
Should this not work again, after you create a Task just choose Recurrence then in the new window choose and End Date.

Dale :-)

Hi Chris,

You would pick one of the Outlook functions that I never use however I do use the Calendar for just about everything i do with Outlook.

What happens when I have a Calendar entry for say a week from now and I will get reminders about the entry and when the date and time comes and goes Outlook will still post reminders about the event and how long ago I should have handled it.

With your Tasks it looks like the same thing happens that after the day has come and gone the Task is still there and you have to manually handle what becomes of that Task.

I would speculate that as with my Calendar entries and  your Tasks the program has no way of knowing  if you have completed the task or completed 50% of the task so you have to manually mark it completed.

It seems to be there should be a box you could check that would mark the Task completed by a certain date but maybe in later versions Microsoft will address this issue that you have brought up.

Not sure if the Recurrence and the End Date Function would be of any use to you but take a look at it and see if you can maybe come up with a work around. I have attached a graphic to illustrate this idea.

Good luck,

Dale :-)

Ps. Maybe it is a good thing the task is still there since I have many things that will flow into the next day or days until I get to that particular task or call or whatever.  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley