Microsoft Word/Stubborn extra line in header

Header Discrepancy
Header Discrepancy  
Hello Suzanne,

(Note: Word 2007; "different odd and even pages" selected):

The attached screenshot shows two footers and two headers of my document. (The footers are ok, but are shown for sake of completion.)

My headers are not ok. This is to say that througout my documet all my main body headers are fine, until I get to the endnotes.

All my page breakes are fine and I have set no "link(s) to previous header."

So why is there an extra space in half of my endnote headers? You can see there is a paragraph mark causing the extra line--but, for some reason Word will not let me remove it.

The really odd thing is that in Header Design none of the settings are different from the rest of the document.

So, again: why is there an extra space in each of my endnote headers--and why can't I get rid of it?

If you could help, I'e really appreciate it.

You've got an empty paragraph there, and you should be able to delete it by backspacing. This extra paragraph mark typically results from pasting content from one header into another. No matter how carefully you copy the content *without* the paragraph mark and select the paragraph mark before pasting, you'll still always get an extra paragraph.

The real problem may well be that you're dealing with the endnotes section, which is kind of virtual (you can't see it in Draft view), which means that, although you can see the headers, you likely don't actually have access to them. If they're continuing from the previous section, then the previous section is where you'd have to fix the problem. If that section doesn't include an Even Page Header, you'd have to (temporarily) add a page or pages until you get one so you can edit it.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors