Microsoft Word/Word header/section problem

Hi Suzanne,

Iím currently formatting my latest book in Word 2007. Iíve successfully inserted section breaks (next page) for the preliminary pages and chapters. I have sorted out the page numbers in the bottom footer so that the preliminary pages have Roman numerals and the rest ordinary numbers.

The problem Iím having in the header is this: Iíve removed the book title from the first pages of each chapter and they appear on subsequent pages. No problem. However, the preliminary pages in Section 1 will not divest themselves of the book title. I try deleting them, but then theyíre deleted from subsequent sections. Iíve tried clicking the ĎLink to Previousí button, but that makes no difference.

Can you advise what Iíve missed or am doing wrong? Iíve spent hours on this and just canít solve it. Iím probably missing the point despite spending ages on the internet.

It sounds as if you have enabled Different First Page and possibly also Different Odd and Even headers and footers. If so, keep in mind that each header and footer--First Page Header, First Page Footer, Header, and Footer--is linked to the corresponding header/footer in the previous section. They can all be linked/unlinked independently. To delete content from the header in a given section, you must unlink it from the previous and the following sections; in your case, to delete content in the front matter, you need to unlink the corresponding header in the body section. If a given section doesn't have all the headers (because it has only one or two pages), you may need to add pages temporarily to access all the headers to unlink them.

For more, see
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors